Friday, April 28, 2017

Q for Quean

"No, Mommy! I am not going for my piano exam and that is that! Unless you wish to drag me out and create a scene, I am not coming! How dare you sign me up for it without telling me! How dare you!" said Rosabelle Diane Hope, stamping her foot on the floor and shaking her head at her mother, Annabella Hope, a gentle woman who certainly did not deserve this little bundle of terror to torment her forever.

"Please, dear, come for your exam. I have paid quite a lot of money just so that you could do this, you know? And I have reminded you, multiple times, that your exam was coming up. Besides, your teacher says that you are coming along marvelously so there is really no need to worry, darling," Mrs.Hope replied, looking at the Rolls Royce parked outside there front gate a little nervously,"and please come quickly, the driver will leave any moment."

Rosabelle sighed at her mother's apparent stupidity and turned around, as if to walk back into the house. 

"Rose! Rose, please! You have to come! Must I call your father to come back home from work early? He will not be pleased, will he now?" Mrs.Hope said, her voice getting very high and worried.

"Really, Mommy? I am not coming. I do not care whether Daddy is upset or not, but I am not coming!!!!!" Rosabelle exclaimed with another stamp. "I would prefer to go back inside!"

At this point of this argument, the driver had gotten out of the car to see what was going on.  Mark Simmons, a simple, honest man had gone through the trials of raising a fussy little girl and was quite experienced with this sort of thing. He walked up to the front door and smiled at the pair. 

"Hello, Mrs.Hope, and hello, little miss! Why's this takin' so much time, then, hmm?" he asked cheerily, looking mainly at Rosabelle.

"Hello, Mr. Simmons. Please mind your own business," Rosabelle said crisply to him and looked back at her mother to continue the argument.

"Hey, hey, hey, little miss. Calm down, now. Alright, as far as I can see, you're refusing to go for your piano exam, am I right?" Mark replied as sternly as he could.

Rosabelle hesitantly nodded at him, looking confused.

"Okay…fine! You can stay here while your mother goes and does your piano exam for you! She'll probably get more marks than you anyway! Yeah, 'cause she's got way more common sense than you, little miss!" he said triumphantly.

Rosabelle looked at him, amazed. And then she turned around and looked at her mother. 

"What rubbish is he talking about, Mommy?!" she asked indignantly.

"Well, dear, perhaps it does make sense. I mean, you are adamant about not coming, right?"

Saying so, Mrs. Hope turned around and began to walk toward the car. Mark followed her, a smug smile on his face. Rosabelle looked after them for a moment, gaped, and then ran after them after making sure that she had her bag slung over her shoulder.

She overtook them, opened the car door, and slid inside, a resigned expression on her face.

"A bit of a quean, ain't she, ma'am?" Mark muttered into Mrs.Hope's ear, grinning.

Mrs.Hope looked at him with an expression similar to Rosabelle's and got into the car next to her daughter. 

1 comment: