Wednesday, April 12, 2017

I for Insatiable

"And, finally, to our most generous benefactor, Mr. Andrew Dawson!"

Andrew smiled benevolently at the crowd of people gathered before him and straightened his tie. He slowly got up from his seat on the stage and waved to the crowd. As he walked to the announcer, Mr Jeremiah Fox, he gestured politely at the crowd to stop clapping. Taking the mike from the announcer, he pushed his spectacles up his nose.

"My dear audience, please, do not give all the credit to me. I have been helped along the way by so many people, to whom I am very grateful to and would like to thank when I am giving this speech of mine. First, Mr Jeremiah Fox himself, who has helped me so much along the way. A big round of applause to him!" Andrew said loudly, shaking Mr. Fox's hand.

Yes, Jerry had helped him a lot indeed…with a tiny bit of persuasion of course. After all, could he say no when Andrew and a few of his goons had stormed his posh mansion with the news that they had kidnapped his wife and teenage daughter and would keep them hostage until he 'helped' them?

"The next person I would like to thank is obviously my business partner, Noah Watson. He has supported me so much ever since I have started my career, provided me with so much advice about my job which has helped me to improve my business skills quite a bit," he cheerfully announced, "sadly, he is not present here."

Ah, Noah. His faithful business partner was currently locked up in his office; a few of his thugs were guarding him with the help of some top quality guns and a few sharp knives, if things got too out of hand. He had supplied him with quite a lot of useful information about bank vaults, pass codes, and locations of important jewelry stores.

"So that is the end of my short speech. Sorry about it," he loudly proclaimed as the audience began to boo, "but I'm not too good at this sort of thing. Handing the mike over to Jerry, he stayed in his position.

"Thank you, Mr. Dawson! Now, our company would like to award you with a certificate of appreciation and a trophy of thanks," Jerry said, looking uncomfortably at the 'generous benefactor'.

Andrew stepped forward and accepted his award, while turning his back to the vast audience, who were eagerly looking at him to view this grand prize. Looking down at the stack of dollar bills being pawed over to him, he curled his lip in distaste; his insatiable greed for money would never be satisfied.

"Really, Jerry? Just this much? I'll be expecting at least one mil' more from you. Or else, I can always just take a few of your loved ones hostage again," he muttered coldly into Jerry's ear. 

Facing the audience again and looking around the magnificent auditorium for what was probably the last time, he confidently announced with a rather strange smile,
"Thank you all for coming! Thank you! I hope you didn't regret it!"

And then, with a stream of fire and smoke, a bomb exploded in the midst of the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment